Thursday, July 8, 2010

Another baby's first!

Necessity is the mother of invention, it's also why people build shit that other people invented. The back story;

I'm in the process of moving right now and while the story is complicated the fact of the matter is I have shit strewn across 3 different households. Just like a rat that has it's little pile of shit that it collects as it casually wanders your house at night. Dragging it's urine soaked nuts across your counter top, I seem to leave a pile of cables, mice, keyboards and computer parts everywhere I go (I'll drag my urine soaked nuts across your counter top for a small fee). I just realised today that have like 9 wireless mice. I looked that pile right in the eye and said, one'a yuns gotta die. I picked from the pile completely at random, and the winner was some logitech piece of shit. I have no clue what model number it is or any of that. The only thing besides logitech it has written on it is 'High Performance Laser'. I am very impressed by this little piece of dung. It has some really nice parts for the parts drawer. The wheel is setup between a nice compact low res encoder I can use one of these days when I get a couple Arduinos to play with and up my edumacation. The laser itself is encased in a DIP, I never saw that before. I'm guessing that stiff wire that traverses half the board is the antenna. The battery compartment came out clean and in one piece, definitely reusable. As I stare at the cool laser DIP I notice the back edge of the circuit board has edge connectors on it, what could they be for? They look like they've been used before too, they have very faint surface scratches. Maybe this is where they tested the assembled boards at the factory or maybe programmed some part of the unit? I have no idea, but I'd like to poke at it and see what happens. Looks like I need a logic probe.....

And there ya go. That's why I'm building a logic probe, and because it's a cool project I happen to have all the parts for. Here is the one I'm building. Of course there'll be lots of pictures. I have pics of the mouse being murdered but I don't have them uploaded yet, I'll do all that in the next post when I start with construction. I plan to build it on my bread board first then build it permanent style complete with an enclosure. There'll be yet another baby's first, baby's first custom pcb! W00t! I can't fucking wait y'all! I get to play with acid! This shit is gonna be off the mutherfuckin' chain, so stick the fuck around!

No comments:

Post a Comment